Monday, June 27, 2011

Mother Nature in Her Stride

(Click on any photo to view a larger image.)

In my last post I showed you before and after photos of my garden clean-up efforts. Since then I've been busy planting, transplanting and weeding, weeding, weeding. All the rain we've had in the past several weeks worked wonders in helping to establish the plants I set down. The flip side is that all the rain is just as beneficial to weeds. Really now, how much purslane can one garden hold? If my garden is any indication, the answer is an infinite number.

The one thing I await patiently all year is the blooming of my red storm daylilies. I love the spectacular red orange color of those blooms. This year my show of lilies did not disappoint and even held a surprise for me. In the midst of all those red blooms a rare burgundy bloom showed up. I've had these flowers for over half a dozen seasons so far and this is the first time I've seen a nearly purple flower emerge. Also this year, in addition to the Stella D'Oro daylilies, my red storm lilies had more company than usual in the form of orange daylilies that had been traded to me last year by a fellow Freecycle gardener in exchange for some Black-eyed Susans and Stella D'Oros. These towering orange beauties are very tall, measuring anywhere from four and a half to five feet. You can see them in the photo looming above the Stella D'Oros. The hydrangeas in my backyard were not to be outdone and produced a dense cover of massive bloom heads.

On to my vegetable garden. My tomatoes seem to taking off slowly but they are growing. The peppers are also slow although I've got one pepper maturing so far. My little bush cucumber surprised me with a fruit maturing out of sight behind some leaves. A piece of a yam that sprouted in my friend's kitchen ended up in my garden and showed up as a very pretty plant with purple edged heart-shaped leaves. In my pots I've got cilantro, basil, four different kinds of mint, scallions, more peppers, tomatoes and onions.

When I first started the garden this year I had the feeling that I wasn't planting very much. I suppose I was so close to it that I didn't see it. Now that I step back to survey all that I have growing I realize I've planted quite a bit and I wish I had room to plant more. Hmmm, let's see now...if I get rid of that azalea bush and move all the lilies into that spot, it would open up a whole new area for planting. And with a small rototiller the work would go a lot faster and....

Excuse me, folks. I've got some planning to do.


Ballo ergo sum - Gitana, the Creative Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment