Saturday, August 22, 2009

Strange Happenings

My garden has been doing strange things this year. I have a pepper plant that has been giving a piss-poor performance. Yes, you read it right...piss-poor. The leaves were all gnarled and curled up, the plant didn't grow more than a foot and the peppers... I mean pepper, singular...well, that was no bigger than a grape tomato and twisted beyond belief. Nothing that I would want to eat. Ironically, this plant was located between two star performers, a cucumber and a tomato, that were incredibly productive. Now that the summer is nearing its end, this pepper is sprouting new growth, perfect new growth, not curled and funny-looking like the earlier growth, and it's blooming with the promise of new peppers. I can't explain it but I've got my fingers and toes crossed. I may yet get a decent pepper out of that plant before the season is over.

In another part of the garden, my strawberries are doing something they've never done before and I have had these plants for about 10 years. They are fruiting again. I've got a second batch of strawberries growing in August, and this variety is listed as June-bearing. I did have strawberries in June, more than I have ever had before, but I've never had any in August.

I don't know what my garden is trying to tell me. It's speaking is a convoluted language that I can't seem to make sense of. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what it all means.

Ballo ergo sum
- Gitana, the Creative Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment